THE CANADIAN FOOTBALL COUNTDOWN CFL POWER RANKINGS- WEEK 1
- Calgary Stampeders (1-0) (NR) – this team picked up right where they left off last regular season, had a few challenges early from a pesky Ticats team, forced a mistake late to pull away. Good teams find ways to win, this Calgary.
- Saskatchewan Roughriders (1-0) (NR)– A little bit of a surprise performance on all sides of the ball, but good overall team win against the Grey Cup champs of 2017. “Defence wins championships” is a saying in football. They allowed Collaros and the offence some time to get their footing and eventually wrestle control of this game following an interesting first half.
- Edmonton Eskimos (1-0) (NR)– The offence was really good against a Bomber defence that looked worn down when it mattered. Got a huge play to set the tone offensively, struggled in the middle of the game a little bit due to some circumstances. At the end of the day, good teams find a way to get it done given the chance. How can you bet against Reilly in the final 3 minutes of a football game?
- BC Lions (1-0) (NR) – Was not a flashy win by any means over Montreal this past week, but they found a way to get it done when it mattered. Seemed to make great half-time adjustments and turn the game in their favour in the 4th- Jennings was good, looking forward to and can’t wait to see how BC follows this up.
- Ottawa RedBlacks- (0-0) (NR)– Dreaded Week 1 bye- nothing to go by, expect them to be good early against a Rider team eager to show last week was not a fluke. Need to establish running game early and keep turnovers at a premium.
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers (0-1) (NR)- Rookie quarterback in against a very good Edmonton team, performed not too bad at all. How much do we read into one game defensively? I am not sure (see quality of opponent in Week 1). Need to find a way to create turnovers; really surprised they didn’t get many last week considering their A+ pass rush. Team will be a work in progress early, expect 2nd half surge.
- Hamilton Tiger-Cats (0-1) (NR)– About as good of a performance one could ask for given the circumstances, should get better defensively soon. Unfortunately, one small pick late in the game looms really large, nothing that cannot be fixed though.
- Toronto Argonauts (0-1) (NR)- Really discouraging performance from the Grey Cup champs. I am on the side that believes that Rider D is to be credited largely for that performance last week. The good news? We can expect Ricky Ray and Co. to bounce back. The problem is they are playing Calgary this week…. lets see what happens…..
- Montreal Alouettes (0-1) (NR)– Need to snap a long losing streak that dates back to last season. Some positives to take from the game against BC though. One question for Mike Sherman: Why did you go away from what made Drew Willy successful in the first half, late in the game? Good news is that I do not believe that they will go 3-15 again this season and we will see an improvement in all aspects. Plus, don’t you want to make those 4th Quarter tickets worth it?
Writer’s Note– First bracket indicates teams record, second set of brackets beside the record indicates last weeks position in the Canadian Football Countdown Power Rankings.
Each week Michael Gerl, one of the hosts of The Canadian Football Countdown, provides his CFL Power Rankings based on what he saw from each of the teams. Agree or Disagree with his rankings? Let us know on Twitter at @CFConMikeFM.